Monday, April 9, 2012

Tales from the Toilet: Potty Training Day 1

Today was it.  The first day of no more diapers.  To be truthful the diapers are still here for naps and bedtime, but that is all.  I don't really have an approach or method.  Just good ole "you are almost three and you need to not be wearing diapers anymore" philosophy.  So we did it.

How did we do?  Two accidents, one in the morning and one in the afternoon.  No actual pee, etc. in the actual potty.  Some tears and lots of iPad watching on the toilet.

C was clingy this morning.  You could tell she was sad about not having a diaper.  As my mom said she was mourning.  I don't know if I would go quite that far, but this kid does not like change.  So it is probably a little of it.  After her nap she was not too pleased about having to wear underwear again.  But didn't fight me when we put the underwear on.

Biggest accomplishment of the day: C actually sitting on the big girl's toilet.  Before today she would only sit on her little potty despite picking out an insert for the regular toilet.  Today the little potty was gone so she had no choice.  She clung to me the first time we sat on it but by the second time she was sitting there with no problem.

Funniest moment of the day: After she sat on the potty for the first time this morning, C tells me "I go to preschool now."  (She has been told that once she starts going on the potty she can go to school like her big sister).  I explained to her that first she has to actually GO in the potty and also that school doesn't start until after summer but maybe she can take a class in the summer.  She was kinda disappointed at this news.

Stay tuned for what will be, I am sure, an exciting week....